Saturday, September 03, 2005

 

LAST Grad Students: University of Florida Offer

Latin American Studies Graduate Students who may find themselves in Florida or nearby have the opportunity to enroll in classes for the fall semester there. The University of Florida is another Title VI National Resource Center on Latin America and has an excellent graduate program. Any coursework taken there will be fully transferable to Tulane upon your return (hopefully in the Spring). [NOTE: I have no information on the status of stipends from Tulane, but as soon as I can figure something out, I will relay the information to you.]

Here is the message that I received from Hannah Covert, the Executive Director of the Latin American Studies Center at the University of Florida:
Dear Jimmy,

I am the Executive Director of the Center for Latin American Studies at the University of Florida. All of us here are very concerned about everyone from the Stone Center in light of the situation in New Orleans. Is there anything we can do to help?

The University of Florida has set up a program to admit students from Gulf Coast universities to UF as non-degree students. UF's Center could facilitate this process and host Stone Center Master's students. The UF website on this is: http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/katrina.html. If you think anyone would be interested in pursuing this option, let me know and I can investigate further.

If there is anything else that we might be able to do, please let us know.

Regards,

Hannah Covert

Hannah H. Covert
Executive Director
Center for Latin American Studies
University of Florida
Grinter Hall 319
PO Box 115530
Gainesville, FL 32611-5530
Telephone: 352-392-0375 ext. 825
Fax: 352-392-7682
http://www.latam.ufl.edu
I have already responded to Hannah and I have thanked her for the offer. If any of you are interested in this, please cehck out the website listed above in Hannah's note and then contact the University of Florida's Center for Latin American Studies directly for additional information and assistance.

Please also keep me advised as to your plans. As I get other information about possibilities, I will let you know.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?